e 3 out of 10
Release Date: 20th September 2013
Director: Oliver Hirschbiegel (Five Minutes Of Heaven / The Invasion / Downfall / The Experiment)
Cast: Naomi Watts, Naveen Andrews, Charles Edwards, Douglas Hodge, Geraldine James, Cas Anvar, Michael Byrne with Art Malik and Juliet Stevenson
Writer: Stephen Jeffreys
This staid profile of Princess Diana (NAOMI WATTS – FLIRTING) is made for least discerning of us movie fans. It’s been made by committee for people who don’t really like films, and a cynical shoe-in for movie of the week with the mobile granny crowd. The film follows Di’s affair with Indian surgeon Hasnat Khan (NAVEEN ANDREWS – LOST) and her love of Burger King. According to this film the people’s princess was very apt at smuggling herself in and out of Kensington Palace in a car boot and having down-to-earth pow-wows with her middle-class girl pals.
Naomi Watts puts in a decent enough performance but we were after a braver more probing movie about the royal family than this. Diana makes Stephen Frears’ The Queen look like a risky option with it’s quite tiresome with it’s endless soap operatics. The Princess Diana portrayed in this film would have loved this film but one gets the sense that had she still been alive she would have found the whole thing a fawning and inaccurate embarrassment. Elsewhere, Naveen Andrews does his best in a unlikeable role as the frustrated object of Diana’s desire. The film gets caught in a circular movement of spats, make ups and break ups, ever escalating and instead of involving the audience it just maddens the viewer.
There’s a good chance that a film about The Royal Family may materialise that’s worth watching one day, but this one, which was directed by the maker of the incredible Downfall, Oliver Hirschbiegel. This last fact is baffling as he showed so much promise early in his film career only to lumbered with this imperial dog.
3 out of 10 – Toothless and dead in the water. This was not the film about the people’s princess we deserve. Avoid unless you like to watch matinees on the True Story Channel.
WHAT HAVE I SEEN THAT ACTOR IN BEFORE?
- Naomi Watts: Allegiant 2, Allegiant, Sea of Trees, While We’re Young, Insurgent, St. Vincent, Movie 43, The Impossible, J.Edgar, Dream House, The International, Eastern Promises, The Painted Veil, King Kong (2005), Stay, Ring 2, Ellie Parker, I Heart Huckabees, The Assasination of Richard Nixon, 21 Grams, Le Divorce, Ned Kelly, The Ring, Mulholland Drive, Strange Planet, Babe 2 (voice), Persons Unknown, Tank Girl, The Custodian, Gross Misconduct, Wide Sargasso Sea (1993), Home and Away (TV), Flirting
- Naveen Andrews: Lost (TV), The Brave One, Gridnhouse: Planet Terror, Bride & Prejudice, Rollerball (2002), Mighty Joe Young, The English Patient, Kama Sutra, The Buddha Of Suburbia (TV), Wild West, London Kills Me
- Charles Edwards: Downton Abbey (TV), Philomena
- Douglas Hodge: The Night Manager (TV), Robin Hood (2010), The Descent 2, Scenes Of a Sexual Nature, Hollow Reed, Middlemarch (TV), Buddy’s Song
- Geraldine James: Alice In Wonderland 2, 45 Years, Robot Overlords, Utopia (TV), The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2012), Sherlock Holmes 2, Made In Dagenham, Arthur (2011), Alice In Wonderland (2010), Sherlock Holmes (2009), Calendar Girls, The Luzhin Defence, Band Of Gold (TV), The Man Who Knew Too Little, Moll Flanders (1996), The Bridge (1992), Teen Agent, The Tall Guy, The Wolves Of Willoughby Chase, Gandhi
- Michael Byrne: Mortdecai, Quartet, Outpost 2, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, Apt Pupil, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows – part 1, Blood – The Last Vampire, Beyond The Sea, Gangs Of New York, The Sum Of All Fears, Proof Of Life, Battlefield Earth, James Bond – Tomorrow Never Dies, Braveheart, Nostradamus (1994), Buster, Force 10 From Navarone, The Eagle Has Landed
- Art Malik: John Carter, Ghosted, Everywhere + Nowhere, Sex & The City 2, The Wolfman, Franklyn, Dean Spanley, Booty Call, Clockwork Mice, True Lies, City Of Joy, Turtle Beach, James Bond – The Living Daylights, A Passage To India
- Juliet Stevenson: Departure, When Did You Last See Your Father?, Breaking and Entering, Infamous, Pierrepoint, Being Julia, Mona Lisa Smile, The One and Only, Bend It Like Beckham, Food Of Love, Emma (1996), The Secret Rapture, The Trial (1993), Truly Madly Deeply, Drowning By Numbers