1 out of 10
UK / Ireland Co-Production
Release Date: 27th June 2014
Director: Ben Kellett
Cast: Brendan O’Carroll, Jennifer Gibney, Rory Cowan, Paddy Houlihan, Danny O’Carroll, Eilish O’Carroll, Simon Delaney, Pat Shields, Dermot O’Neill, Fiona O’Carroll, Amanda Woods, Gary Hollywood, Dermot Crowley, Sorcha Cusack, Raj Ghatak, Conor Moloney, Eamon Holmes with Nick Nevern and Robert Bathurst
Writer: Brendan O’Carroll
Trailer: MRS BROWN’S BOYS D’MOVIE
TO BE PROOFREAD: As Mrs Brown (BRENDAN O’CARROLL) herself would probably say herself this film was “fecking shoite!” I feel as if Buster (DANNY O’CARROLL) has sold me a bootleg version of the TV series made by fans with a budget straight out of Poundland. I find myself laughing at the series but this film is a mirthless rip-off of Australian hit-comedy The Castle. It’s barely got a joke in it and where the TV show can usually get away with it’s un-PC humour, D’Movie repeatedly exposes itself as racist, homophobic and even worse stuck for funny ideas!
Mrs Brown‘s market store is under threat of closure along with the rest of the street because evil property developers want to make a compulsory acquisition of the the area. Mrs Brown and family are going to fight it though. So she takes her fight right to the top even when faced with an embarrassed Nick Nevern (THE HOOLIGAN FACTORY) playing an Eastern European gangster with a moustache that keeps on falling off when the jokes run out (actually there are no jokes).
Mind you it did take a hell of a lot of money in the UK and judging by the funny-ness of the 2014 Mrs Brown’s Boys Christmas Special I can vouch for them and say that the film is a blip. One can only imagine the window to get a film made was really narrow and they hadn’t had time to write a funny plot. It’s a complete rush-job from start to finish and an utter waste of the talented O’Carroll family. It’s a wasted opportunity. I did overhear fellow audience members saying how great it was as I was leaving, so it appeals to the majority of the people of Barnstaple, Devon who were in stitches at the weakest of attempted gags.
1 out of 10 – Truly woeful and unfunny extension of the hilarious TV sitcom that’s taking the UK and Ireland by storm. A shame they shoved this shoddy knock-off their fans. It just smacks of a quick buck and a lazy cash-in. I hear there’s a sequel in the works… Feck off!
WHAT HAVE I SEEN THAT ACTOR IN BEFORE?
- Brendan O’Carroll: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV), Agnes Browne
- Jennifer Gibney: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV), Agnes Browne
- Rory Cowan: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV)
- Paddy Houlihan: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV)
- Danny O’Carroll: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV)
- Eilish O’Carroll: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV)
- Simon Delaney: This Must Be The Place
- Pat Shields: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV)
- Dermot O’Neill: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV)
- Fiona O’Carroll: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV)
- Amanda Woods: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV)
- Gary Hollywood: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV), Taggart (TV), The Winter Guest
- Dermot Crowley: Luther (TV), Bleak House (TV)(1995), James Bond – Octopussy, Star Wars – Return of The Jedi
- Sorcha Cusack: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV), Coronation St (TV), Snatch, Casualty (TV), Angel, Jane Eyre (1973)
- Raj Ghatak: Dead Set (TV)
- Conor Moloney: Mrs Brown’s Boys (TV)
- Nick Nevern: Sexy Bizness, Meet The Firm – White Collar Hooligan 3, The Hooligan Factory, The Hooligan Wars, Vendetta, White Collar Hooligan 2, Fall of the Essex Boys, GBH, Outpost 2, The Rise Of a White Collar Hooligan, Victim, The Sweeney Movie, Turnout, 7Lives, Strippers Vs. Werewolves, Terry
- Robert Bathurst: Absolutely Anything, Narcopolis, Toast of London (TV), Downton Abbey (TV), Scoop, The Thief Lord, Heidi (2005), Cold Feet (TV), Twenty One, Whoops Apocalypse, The Lenny Henry Show (TV), Blackadder (TV)