2 out of 10
Release Date: 20th July 2015 (DVD Premiere)
Director: Ray Burdis (The Wee Man / Love Honour & Obey / Final Cut / Operation: Good Guys (TV))
Cast: Margo Stilley, John Hannah, Jenn Murray, Karel Roden, Andrew Woodall, Jason Maza, Stephen Billington, Mark Burdis, Georgina Hale, Christopher Sciueref, Beryl Nesbitt with Crissy Rock, Richard Blackwood and Peter-Hugo Daly
Writer: Ray Burdis
Trailer: ANGEL (2015)
It would seem that as of late, the bigger the names in the cast the lamer the film. Angel (2015) comes equipped with an experienced and mostly talented cast but it will be hard to find worse performances from any of them elsewhere. Former actor, Burdis,came back as a director last year, after dabbling in the trade in the late 90s, with a solid gangster movie called The Wee Man. There was nothing special about it but it looked the part, was well scripted and solidly acted. Everything that was right with The Wee Man is wrong with his directorial follow-up, Angel (2015).
An utterly unconvincing police procedural-cum-serial killer thriller-cum-government conspiracy, Angel (2015) packs in so much plot into its slender running time that it races through without a pause to make it a) exciting b) remotely plausible c) watchable. Movie detective, Det. Bradbury (an uninterested and utterly bored looking MARGO STILLEY – 9 SONGS) teams up with an erratic Det. Lapslie (a miscast, over-acting JOHN HANNAH – FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL) to track down a serial killing psychopath called Angel (JENN MURRAY) who has been let out of a mental home by a naive MP (STEPHEN BILLINGTON – CORONATION STREET) to cut up anyone who pisses her off. Pity poor newcomer Jenn Murray who gets to perform from some of the worst bits of the unintentionally funny / bad script as the titular Angel. Living next door on bad actor street is the once dependable Jason Maza (#LEGACY) who puts in a terrible appearance (possibly his worst yet) as a potential boyfriend for Angel, his dialogue is terrible and matched up with his dreadful attempt at a northern accent he can add this film to the pile of embarrassments he tries to tip toe away from. There’s some good work put in by bit-part actor Peter-Hugo Daly (ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS) as a paedophilic clown and comedian Crissy Rock (LADYBIRD, LADYBIRD) but this is a mostly a tragic rush job. Its potentially interesting conspiracy plot seems botched and when twinned with the crappy script and its wildly uneven performances, Angel (2015) is a big disappointment.
2 out of 10 – Flat and weird non-thriller (formerly known as Still Waters) is another example of name actors sullying their good names for a couple of quid whilst hoping secretly that the results will never see the light of day. Everyone involved needs to give their managers and their egos a good talking to. Awful in every way.
Look below for Matt Usher’s review if you dare…
WHAT HAVE I SEEN THAT ACTOR IN BEFORE?
- Margo Stilley: Everything Carries Me To You, The Trip (TV), Goal 3, How To Lose Friends and Alienate People, 9 Songs
- John Hannah: Genesis, Bone In The Throat, Alleycats, Agents of SHIELD (TV), Shooting For Socrates, The Christmas Candle, The Wee Man, The Mummy 3, Before You Go, Rebus (TV), The Mummy 2, Circus, The Hurricane, McCallum (TV), Resurrection Man, Sliding Doors, The Mummy, The James Gang, The Innocent Sleep, Madagascar Skin, Four Weddings and a Funeral
- Jenn Murray: Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, Love & Friendship, Brooklyn, Truckers (TV), The Fades (TV), Dorothy
- Karel Roden: Anthropoid, Sword of Vengeance, Frankenstein’s Army, A Lonely Place To Die, Largo Winch: Deadly Vengeance, Rock-n-Rolla, The Bourne Supremacy, Mr Bean’s Holiday, Blade II, Hellboy, 15 Minutes
- Jason Maza: Brotherhood, #Legacy, The Hooligan Factory, Traveller, Little Deaths, Get Lucky, Welcome To The Punch, The Knot, Truth or Dare, The Man Inside (2012), Outside Bet, Demons Never Die, Anuvahood, Ten Dead Men, Fit, KickOff, Shifty, Fish Tank, Hush Your Mouth, Rise Of The Footsoldier, Life and Lyrics
- Stephen Billington: Lake Placid vs. Anaconda, Hollyoaks (TV), Casualty (TV), The Prophecy 3, Coronation Street (TV)
- Mark Burdis: Operation – Good Guys (TV), Love Honour & Obey, Final Cut, A Touch of Frost (TV), The Krays, Clockwise, Grange Hill (TV)
- Georgina Hale: Cockneys vs. Zombies, T-Bag (TV), McVicar, The Watcher In The Woods, The Boy Friend, The Devils
- Christopher Sciueref: 300 – Rise of An Empire
- Crissy Rock: A Boy Called Dad, Acceptance, Benidorm (TV), Crissy Rock Live, Ladybird Ladybird
- Richard Blackwood: Gangsters Gamblers Geezers, Eastenders (TV), The Guvnors, Outside Bet, Anuvahood, The Richard Blackwood Show (TV)
- Peter-Hugo Daly: Wild Bill (2012), GBH (TV), Absolute Beginners, Oxford Blues, Breaking Glass