0.25 out of 10
Release Date: 18th January 2016 (DVD Premiere)
Director: Steve Oram
Cast: Julian Barratt, Lucy Honigman, Steve Oram, Julian Rhind-Tutt, Toyah Willcox, Tom Meeten, Sean Reynard, Holli Dempsey, Shelley Longworth, Waen Shephard, Tony Way with Alice Lowe and Noel Fielding
Writer: Steve Oram
Granted, you could argue that films aren’t made to entertain all the time. They’re also here to educate on occassion too. If they don’t serve either of these ends then why do they exist?
Aaaaaaaah! is a one-minute short-film that’s been expanded into a very, very ugly film possibly sent by it’s makers to polarise us into brave and forward thinking viewers and narrow, unimaginative ones. The tale of a society in which we all live as apes may have looked like a decent idea after 20 pints down The Ivy, but it shouldn’t have made it past the writer’s hangover. Only actors would think it’s a good idea to follow a fellow actor up his own arsehole to make something so at odds with what will fly with the film-loving public. This film is the product of an angry and screwed up man as he squanders what good will he’d earnt from his decent body of film and TV appearances. Take a bow Steve Oram (SIGHTSEERS).
The cast is a love-in of regulars from a certain ‘school’ of TV comedy – so we have Noel Fielding (THE MIGHTY BOOSH), Julian Barratt (A FIELD IN ENGLAND), Tom Meeten (WEEKENDER), Alice Lowe (SIGHTSEERS) acting as apes – defecating, eating testicles, causing violent mayhem, fucking and pissing everywhere, alongside a re-appearance of Toyah Willcox (QUADROPHENIA) in her first film in decades. At one point I wondered if it had been inspired by Lars Von Trier’s The Idiots or the recent The Lobster, but then I stopped wondering about nothing at all.
There’s no appeal here, I wonder who could recommend this except for the ponciest, sheltered living hipster, and maybe that’s their aim. I made it through the first 20 minutes at normal speed then I watched it with the fast forward button on to +2. I recommend all those that have rented this by accident to do the same. You won’t miss anything and it makes it at most, half as long. I wasn’t offended by the film, nor did I feel ‘above it all’, I just felt bored, baffled and throughly grossed out.
0.25 out of 10 – Possibly the worst comedy / film experiment I’ve ever seen. Watch it sped up, you won’t miss anything and that would piss the filmmakers off no end.
Review by Maaaaaaaaah!tt Usher down below!
WHAT HAVE I SEEN THAT ACTOR IN BEFORE?
- Julian Barratt: Brakes, Mindhorn, The Harry Hill Movie, A Field In England, Bunny and The Bull, Nathan Barley (TV), The Mighty Boosh (TV)
- Steve Oram: The Man You’re Not, A Dark Song, Captain Webb, The Canal, The Bad Education Movie, The Haunting of Radcliffe House, Paddington, Cuban Fury, The World’s End, Sightseers
- Julian Rhind-Tutt: Rizen 2, Chubby Funny, The Rizen, Bridget Jones 3, Burn Burn Burn, Castles In The Sky, Banished (TV), A Touch of Cloth (TV), Lucy, Inside No.9 (TV), Rush (2013), Gambit (2012), Your Highness, Stardust, Green Wing (TV), To Kill a King, Miranda, Lara Croft -Tomb Raider, The Trench, Notting Hill
- Toyah Willcox: Secret Diary of a Call Girl (TV), Teletubbies (voice)(TV), The Most Fertile Man In Ireland, Julie & The Cadillacs, Anchoress, The Tempest, Quadrophenia, The Quatermass Conclusion, Jubilee
- Tom Meeten: The Ghoul, Prevenge, Tank 432, Crackanory (TV), Paddington, Noel Fielding’s Luxury Comedy (TV), Burke & Hare, Weekender, Star Stories (TV), The Mighty Boosh (TV), Saxondale (TV), I Want Candy, Magicians
- Holli Dempsey: The Aliens (TV), Dad’s Army, Derek (TV)
- Shelley Longworth: Benidorm (TV)
- Waen Shepherd: Crackanory (TV)
- Tony Way: Mindhorn, Trespass Against Us, Identicals, High-Rise, Convenience, The Riot Club, The Edge of Tomorrow, Sightseers, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2012), Down Terrace
- Alice Lowe: The Ghoul,, Chubby Funny, Stoner Express, Prevenge (dir), Burn Burn Burn,, Black Mountain Poets, Electricity, Locke (voice), The World’s End, This Is Jinsy (TV), Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place (TV)
- Noel Fielding: The Great British Bake-Off (TV), Brakes, Set The Thames On Fire, Noel Fielding’s Luxury Comedy (TV), Th eIT Crowd (TV), Horrid Henry – The Movie, Come On Eileen, Bunny & The Bull, The Mighty Boosh (TV), Nathan Barley (TV)